I made some dirt piles for my Patrons this month. I might be a little bit crazy-pants, but I'm all about the little details that help you to clutter up a scene and bring it to life. Nothing beats actually modeling one or two specific things tailored for a scene, but what if you just needed some simple scene filler? Enter the dirt piles: something you often see in real lie and not so often in 3D illustrations! They come in three different varieties of soil, made of a simple manipulated plane that had particles poured over it in Modo, to settle in the nooks and crannies.
Each of the dirt pile textures are comprised of layers and layers of dirt and ground textures, with smart masks to encourage growth or oxidization on the top surfaces, and darker, more granular textures in the occluded areas where the dirt particles fell. I learned a lot about layering while working on this, but I have the feeling it's one of those things I'm going to look back at in six months or so and wonder what the blazes what I was thinking. I'm in particular curious why the dirt piles look so incredibly different in every different bit of software that I work with, but I'm afraid that's probably one of the reasons why things like this are so often conveyed by pre-rendered textures on mostly-flat surfaces. It avoids some of those problems. It may be that the tactics I tried aren't useful for the long run, but it still made for some interesting experiments this month! So much to learn!
As per my usual, it will be available for my Patrons pre-formatted for DAZ Studio, Poser, and in OBJ format. My first test images, here, show the OBJ files imported into VUE with the PBR textures applied.